About Me

My photo
Just a meandering soul sharing my backyard. Visit my Flickr page too! www.flickr.com/photos/meanderingwa/

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

H ~ Hyla regilla, Pacific Treefrog





Only 1 ½ to 2 ¾ inches long, the Pacific Treefrog is a real charmer. They have bulbous toes which allows them to climb and hold on vertical surfaces. I have often found them in and on garden walls. They have a wide variety of colors and blotches which help them blend to their background. Often they will be quite vocal and even though you know they are right close by, they blend so easily they can be almost impossible to see until they jump. As soon as a few days of warmer weather start this month, they will be chirping and calling from every moist woodland, field and pond.

I have a profound soft spot for frogs. In all their shapes and sizes, I love discovering them. Frogs often are a symbol of transformation. The Japanese word for frog is "kaeru." It is the same word meaning "return." So travelers carry a small frog amulet with the intent of returning safely home.

2 comments:

  1. Is the frog the green thing? We have toads here, they are pretty cool. The more I read of your alphabet journey, the more I wish you would have waited and done the April A to Z Challenge. Why do I feel this way: You would get so much exposure and so many more people would learn from all that you know about nature and everything else. This is such a fabulous blog and I want more people to read it. That's why!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute little guy and always a joy to see. A bit sorry that the season is about over now and nothing again until until April by way of wildflowers, orchids, etc.

    ReplyDelete